Re: 2.5.69 strange high tone on DELL Inspiron 8100

From: Tuncer M (tuncer.ayaz@gmx.de)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 15:06:25 EST

On 10 May 2003 19:47:47 +0200
Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel@free.fr> wrote:

> Le sam 10/05/2003 à 19:35, Tuncer M zayamut Ayaz a écrit :
>
> > rebooted with a reconfigured kernel to assure it's not cpufreq.
> > same behaviour without cpufreq.
>
> You should perhaps try to enable/disable APM idle calls ..
>
> Xav

disabling apm idle calls seem to fix it but on this notebook
those calls are necessary so that it doesn't get too hot.
or can ACPI be used to accomplish those calls?

I'm already running it always on SpeeStep power-saving mode
so that it doesn't get REALLY hot. try typing on an Inspiron
8100 in the summer while compiling for a while. it's not
healthy for your hands :D