Re: 2.5.69 strange high tone on DELL Inspiron 8100

From: Tuncer M (tuncer.ayaz@gmx.de)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 01:17:43 EST

On Mon, 12 May 2003 12:34:36 +1200
Andrew McGregor <andrew@indranet.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi there...
>
> --On Sunday, 11 May 2003 3:03 p.m. +0200 Tuncer M zayamut Ayaz
> <tuncer.ayaz@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> >> Reasoning:
> >> cpufreq and speedstep don't work on Dell P3 laptops anyway, and the
> >> *internal power supplies* of the i8x00 series make wierd noises
> >when APM> tries to idle the CPU. The board will do this anyway,
> >without making
> >
> > hmm, at least now I know where that strange sound comes from.
> > I'm not quite sure that SpeedStep does not work,
> > with SpeedStep disabled in the BIOS the fans turned on again with
> > cpu load. this doesn't happen with SpeedStep. so I suppose it works
> > to some extent, right?
>
> Sounds like it to me. It certainly does not work on my i8000, but the
> 8100 is possibly different.

one thing none of you most probably wants to hear:
if this "APM idle calls" is that "HLT" stuff, then I have to tell you
that on win32 I had not such problems while using the CpuIdle tool.
sorry.

> >> noise, so linux need not.
> >
> > so what options should I set?
> > as I've already stated it's not bearable to do coding (incl.
> > compiling) on this box without "Battery Optimized Mode" as SpeedStep
> > calls it. on Linux I did that with a simple tool called speedstep.
> > I've seen autospeedstep from Fritz Ganter which seems to use ACPI,
> > dunno how that compares to cpufreqd.
>
> Hmm. Maybe the 8100 has working speedstep, then. I'd suggest you see
> if disabling just the APM idle calls, but leaving speedstep and
> cpufreq on makes the noise.

as time permits. didn't mess around with ACPI or CpuFreq before.

> I have had no success whatever with ACPI on an i8000, but again an
> 8100 may be different.

may be, but for now somehow 2.5.69 segfaults in /etc/init.d/pcmcia :(
could be the PCMCIA changes I read in the -69 changelog
quote: "don't unload PCMCIA"

ok, it happened while loading.
anyway, waiting for -70 or some -bk* patchset that fixes PCMCIA up

any PCMCIA fixes already available in linus -bk?

does CpuFreq depend on ACPI ? just in case i8k1 doesn't have proper
ACPI support.

> > anyway, this laptop is not-so-nice anyway, I'm just happy I didn't
> > buy it but my employer did ;)
>
> Same here, and I mostly agree. Good price for such a nice screen,
> though (I have the 1600x1200 15" screen).

yep.