Re: 2.6 must-fix list, v2

From: viro@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 23:05:57 EST

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 03:55:11PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> drivers/char/
> -------------
>
> - TTY locking is broken.

No shit. Locking, refcounting, serial drivers, yada, yada. Currently it's
the worst widely-used subsystem in the tree - both 2.4 and 2.5 (and 2.2 is
not much better). I've got some cleanups, but that will have to go slowly
and carefully - otherwise we'll destroy the last remnants of 2.0 race
prevention logics in there and that's the only thing that makes the current
code kinda-sorta work most of the time.

> - see FIXME in do_tty_hangup(). This causes ppp BUGs in local_bh_enable()
>
> - Other problems: aviro, dipankar, Alan have details.

BTW, somebody will have to document the tty driver and ldisc API.