Re: 2.6 must-fix list, v2

From: Daniel Jacobowitz (dan@debian.org)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 10:59:01 EST

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 01:36:14PM +0200, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> > - NFS client gets an OOM deadlock.
> > - Some fixes exist in -mm. Seem to mostly work.
> > - NFS client runs very slowly consuming 100% CPU under heavy
> > writeout.
> > - Unsubtle fix exists in -mm. (Looks like it's fixed anyway).
>
> <snip>
>
> > - davej: NFS seems to have a really bad time for some people. (Including
> > myself on one testbox). The common factor seems to be a high
> > spec client torturing an underpowered NFS server with lots of
> > IO. (fsx/fsstress etc show this up). Lots of "NFS server
> > cheating" messages get dumped, and a whole lot of bogus
> > packets start appearing. They look severely corrupted, (they
> > even crashed ethereal once 8-)
>
> Could people please test these items out again using the latest
> Bitkeeper release? I believe I've addressed all these issues with the
> patches that have gone to Linus in the last 2-3 weeks.

Well, using BK as of Friday last week I'm still having a complete
disaster of NFS support. Copying a 13MB file within an NFS-mounted
directory usually yields an I/O error, creating that same file does too
(it's a final link, so I don't know offhand if reading the objects or
writing the binary is falling over). Server is rather old now,
in-kernel NFSd from 2.4.19-pre10-ac2, but it works just fine on 2.4
clients.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz