RE: RFC Proposal to enable MSI support in Linux kernel

From: Nakajima, Jun (jun.nakajima@intel.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 15:43:15 EST

ISA devices typically use hard-coded IRQs (< 16), and the drivers for those also assume such IRQs. You can break the driver if you provide the vector number instead of the IRQ for them. Unfortunately, vectors <16 are used for the processor, and thus not available. Good news is that vectors assigned to I/O are equal to or higher than FIRST_DEVICE_VECTOR (> 16), so there are no conflicts between the IRQ and vector space, i.e. you don't need to check if it's vector or IRQ at do_IRQ() time, for example.

Non legacy drivers are all drivers but such legacy drivers. Included are PCI, USB drivers, etc.

Thanks,
Jun