Re: 2.5.69-mm5: reverting i8259-shutdown.patch

From: Patrick Mochel (mochel@osdl.org)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 22:00:02 EST

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 2003, Patrick Mochel wrote:
>
> > Interesting. This is yet more proof that system-level devices cannot be
> > treated as common, everyday devices. Sure, it's nice to see them show up
> > in sysfs with little overhead, and very nice not to have to work about
> > them during shutdown or power transitions. But there are just too many
> > special cases (like getting the ordering right ;) that you have to worry
> > about.
> >
> > So, what do we do with them?
>
> Does the PIC shutdown callback get called _just_ before acpi_power_off?

It may or may not be. It depends on which order it gets registered in,
which is arbitrary (*). One can enable DEBUG in drivers/base/power.c and
crank up the console log level to see the order that devices get shutdown
in on their system.

        -pat

(*) - Ok, we can control the registration via link order, but that's
something we'll be tweaking until our dying days in absence of a good
solution.