Re: [2.5 patch] 2.4.21-rc1 pointless IDE noise reduction

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz (B.Zolnierkiewicz@elka.pw.edu.pl)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 18:36:45 EST

On Sun, 18 May 2003, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> Just maybe people would like to know if there is a secret OS on the tail
> of their drive, or the potential for one being there.

This function only checks for HPA command set enabled (not supported).

I find it only useful when we see failed command in logs
and ">= 0", then we now it was READ_NATIVE_MAX command.

We check for secret OS in init_idedisk_capacity(). :-)

> Go research EDDS BEER PARTIES and you will find out this is not a joke.
>
> If the noise pisses you off turn down your kernel printk noise makers.
> Better yet stub it out in your own kernel.
>
> Do not remove items that have meaning or valid tests.

It is covered by init_idedisk_capacity() (capacity != native capacity)
and hdparm (HPA command set supported/enabled).

Can it go away?

Cheers,

--
Bartlomiej