Re: Comparing the aio and epoll event frameworks.

From: Dan Kegel (dank@kegel.com)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 21:06:21 EST

William Lee Irwin III wrote:

>>>I think this would be useful for network daemons that would like to
>>>fairly schedule responses (i.e. not re-arm until a client on a given fd
>>>deserves a turn again). IRC daemons would appear to be a perfect
>>>candidate for such. ...
>

> On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 06:37:49PM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
>>No need. The plain old edge triggered behavior can handle this
>>nicely.
>

> AIUI after the iospace on an fd is exhausted the event will be re-armed.
> It could probably be taken and then ignored until the client deserves a
> response again. Is that what you had in mind?

In edge-triggered mode, epoll will deliver an event only when events warrant it (sic).
If you decide to starve a client for a while, that client's fd
will only get an event or two as the last bits of I/O to it
occur; after that, no more events will come in unless you do
some I/O.

So I guess I'm saying "remember the fact that you got the event, but
don't do anything about it until you feel like it".
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com