RE: [Patch] e100 driver patch for 2.5 - option to restore old behavio r

From: Feldman, Scott (scott.feldman@intel.com)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 16:00:30 EST

> These patches add a module parameter to restore older
> EEPROM behavior to the Intel e100 NIC driver.

We want the check to fail to detect mis-programmed eeproms. The
checksum test isn't conclusive, but it does provide an indication
something is wrong.

> We have lots of boxen that for some reason always fail the
> checksum, but the E100 NIC operates just fine. Others might
> have the same issue.

The assumption is that the eeprom was programmed correctly in
manufacturing, so your nics were 1) mis-programmed during manufacturing,
or 2) modified later using some tool. Follow-up with
linux.nics@intel.com to make sure 1) isn't the case.

-scott