[Fwd: blk_congestion_wait() with linux-2.5.68]

From: Mathew Spencer (Matthew.Spencer@eu.sony.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 10:23:29 EST

Hi,
I'm forwarding this question to this list as I have been told there is
more expertise here regarding the question. My usual point of contact
is the linux-arm-kernel mailing list.

Thanks for your time,

Mat Spencer

The information contained in this message or any of its
attachments may be privileged and confidential and intended
for the exclusive use of the addressee. If you are not the
addressee any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other
dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited

attached mail follows:

Hi all,
I have been using 2.4.19 successfully for a while now with an PCI IDE
disk drive with no problems whatsoever. I recently upgraded to 2.5.68
(so that I could use the most recent ieee1394 drivers) and also to start
experimenting with the new version of the kernel and since then I am
having problems formatting the hard disk.

When I run mke2fs, it manages to write out the first 12 or 13 blocks
successfully, but then the code gets stuck continually calling
blk_congestion_wait() from balance_dirty_pages().

This is the only time that I see this problem. If the disk is already
formatted, then mounting/reading/writing to the disk happens without any
problems at all.

Is anyone out there aware of this problem?
Does anyone know how to fix it?

For your information, I'm using the 2.95.3 toolchain and
linux-2.5.68-rmk1-pxa1.

Your time and knowledge is much appreciated.

Regards,

Mat