Aix7xxx unstable in 2.4.21-rc2? (RE: Linux 2.4.21-rc2)

From: Oliver Pitzeier (o.pitzeier@uptime.at)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 10:19:08 EST

Sven Krohlas <darkshadow@web.de> wrote:
> > Here goes release canditate 2. The aic7xxx problems should be fixed.
>
> I've still got the same stability problems as with rc1.
> I booted rc2 and it was working fine for two or three hours.
> Then I thought "Hey, while I go to work I could rip and
> encode a CD". Well, so did I, and just as it started to rip
> the 2nd track (and to encode the first one with oggenc) the
> system froze. Sound stopped playing, the mouse froze, nothing
> worked.

You didn't see a kernel panic as well? I'm asking, because I have the same
problems with one of my machines...

When was this problem introduced? Does 2.4.19, or 2.4.20 work well?

> As before I found nothing in the logs.

Me too. The system freezes completly. I believed it's a problem with the
temperature at our server housing location, but it seems it is not (mounted
additional fans during the night and now the system is dead again).

[ ... ]

> My system is a AMD K6-2+, Asus P5A, SB AWE 64 ISA PnP (I used
> Alsa 0.9.2, but in rc1 I also had problems without it),
> nVidia TNT, two cheap network cards and a few disks.

My one is a Dual-P III 1GHz... I have no USB, Sound or that stuff enabled...
It's also a SCSI-only system if this does matter...

Best regards,
 Oliver