Re: [RFC][2.5] generic_usercopy() function (resend, forgot the patches)

From: Ingo Oeser (ingo.oeser@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 06:17:57 EST

Hi Michael,

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 11:37:09AM +0200, Michael Hunold wrote:
> In order to prevent this code duplication, introducing a
> generic_usercopy() function to lib/ is one possibilty.

I like the idea, because whoever invented the IOCTL generation
macros forgot exactly this function.

This raised the problem, that some IOCTLs have the wrong numbers
due to the author not being able to grok the macros and/or
documentation.

Also many authors have problems evaluating their IOCTLs and get
directions wrong.

So this code helps these issues.

I just miss variants for the smaller sizes. These should be
handled differently and more easily,
so better warn about sizes <= sizeof(void *).

Regards

Ingo Oeser