Re: Undo aic7xxx changes

From: Willy Tarreau (willy@w.ods.org)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 06:21:20 EST

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 12:52:52PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2003 21:57:57 +0200
> Willy Tarreau <willy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > What is telling you that the freeze is SCSI related? Are you running
> > > with the nmi watchdog and have a trace? Do you have driver messages
> > > that you aren't sharing?
> >
> > Stephen,
> >
> > Justin is right, you should run it through the NMI watchdog, in the hope to
> > find something useful. If it hangs again in 14 days, you won't know why and
> > that may be frustrating. With the NMI watchdog, you at least have a chance to
> > see where it locks up, and you may find it to be within the driver, which
> > would help Justin stabilize it, or within any other kernel subsystem.
> >
> > I had to use nmi_watchdog=2 at boot time, but other people use 1.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Willy
>
> Hello Willy,
>
> I will do that, but I am not so confident about this, because the box runs X
> and a console oops output from nmi may as well not be visible nor written to
> disk.

OK, I understand. Other options are : serial console (worked for me after
several retries), remote syslogd (sometimes works if the system can still
schedule a bit), or patches such as netconsole, which sends the logs to a
remote host, and kmsgdump which tries to get them onto a floppy after a
panic or a forced dump.

Regards,
Willy