Re: Undo aic7xxx changes

From: Stephan von Krawczynski (skraw@ithnet.com)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 06:03:12 EST

On Sat, 24 May 2003 13:16:08 +0200
Willy Tarreau <willy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Hello Willy,
> >
> > I will do that, but I am not so confident about this, because the box runs
> > X and a console oops output from nmi may as well not be visible nor written
> > to disk.
>
> OK, I understand. Other options are : serial console (worked for me after
> several retries), remote syslogd (sometimes works if the system can still
> schedule a bit), or patches such as netconsole, which sends the logs to a
> remote host, and kmsgdump which tries to get them onto a floppy after a
> panic or a forced dump.
>
> Regards,
> Willy

Hello all,

it did not take really long for rc3+aic20030520 to freeze - exactly one day.

Though I used nmi_watchdog there are no presentable outputs. As I expected the
screen simply is black and no messages are in any logfiles.
Again it froze while tar-ing about 80 GB of data onto an aic-driven SDLT. Data
is coming from IDE drive connected to a 3ware 7500-8 (though no raid
configuration).

I conclude that rc2+aic20030502 was way better.

Ah yes, one more thing: I can ping the box, but keyboard, mouse, display is
dead and usually working processes stopped (like snmp).

Willy: I am willing to try a serial console setup (as it does not interfere
with X). I have tried this before with no luck. Can you provide some hints how
you got that working (yes, I read Documentation/serial-console.txt, but I could
not manage any output on the serial line).

Regards,
Stephan