2.4.20-ck7

From: Con Kolivas (kernel@kolivas.org)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 01:50:37 EST

Here's an update to my patchset

http://kernel.kolivas.org

Includes:
O(1) scheduler with batch scheduling
Preemptible
Low Latency
Read Latency2
Autoregulated VM
Variable Hz
Scheduler Tunables
Desktop Tuning
Supermount NG
XFS 1.2
ACPI
CPU Frequency Scaling
NForce2 update
Packet writing
GCC 3.3 fixes

Optional extras not included in full patch but available:
2.5 Interactivity update
Swap prefetching
Lowest Latency Disk Hack
AA VM addons
RMAP
Compressed Caching.

Changes:
Patch restructure to allow easy selection and applying of split out patches.
Major change is my VM hacks that are now the default. These use the default VM
with changes based on the system and memory stress the kernel senses to
create a VM that's cachier with free memory and aggressive at avoiding swap.
It builds on the lean nature of the default VM without adding noticeable
overhead. See my website for a lengthier description or the patch itself for
documented code.
The desktop tuning is now 10/40 ms for min/max timeslice, and further tuning
to avoid that nasty nasty i/o elevator pause problem. MCP and I are working
hard on trying to find a useful fix since noone else is interested any more.
See http://kernel.kolivas.org/elevator.html for more info.
Supermount has been revamped to the new supermount-ng code
(http://supermount-ng.sf.net)
Nforce2 update and GCC3.3 fixes.
Optional:
I've implemented some simple (read braindead) but effective swap prefetching
code which slowly trickles in pages from swap when the machine is idle and
there is free ram.
For the most resistant cases of i/o induced pauses I have the nasty lowest
latency disk hack I made which drops throughput significantly but will remove
them entirely.
The AA VM addons are now optional instead of the default as I've moved to my
VM addons, and will rip out my changes (as is the case with rmap).
Compressed caching adds to my VM addons instead of AA.

Feel free to send me queries, comments, suggestions, patches etc.

Regards,
Con Kolivas