Re: 2.4.20: Proccess stuck in __lock_page ...

From: Marc-Christian Petersen (m.c.p@wolk-project.de)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 12:42:00 EST

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 19:27, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

Hi Marcelo,

> > Following is SysRq-T output for stuck processes during such a pause from
> > Christian Klose. Only processes in D state are listed for brevity.
> > Especially the last two call traces are interesting.
> A "pause" is perfectly fine (to some extent, of course), now a hang is
> not. Is this backtrace from a hanged, unusable kernel or ?
A pause is _not_ perfectly fine, even not to some extent. That pause we are
discussing about is a pause of the _whole_ machine, not just disk i/o pauses.
Mouse stops, keyboard stops, everything stops, who knows wtf.

That behaviour is absolutely bullshit for desktop users. For serverusage you
may not notice it in this dimension (mostly no X so no mouse), but also for a
server environment this may be very bad.

ciao, Marc