Re: 2.4 bug: fifo-write causes diskwrites to read-only fs !

From: Rob van Nieuwkerk (robn@verdi.et.tudelft.nl)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 14:37:41 EST

> On Wed, 28 May 2003, Rob van Nieuwkerk wrote:
>

> > I wrote:
> > > It turns out that Linux is updating inode timestamps of fifos (named
> > > pipes) that are written to while residing on a read-only filesystem.
> > > It is not only updating in-ram info, but it will issue *physical*
> > > writes to the read-only fs on the disk !
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > > Sysinfo:
> > > --------
> > > - various 2.4 kernels including RH-2.4.20-13.9,
> > > but also straight 2.4(ac) ones.
> > > - CompactFlash (= IDE disk)
> > > - Geode GX1 CPU (i586 compatible)
> >
> > Forgot to mention: I use an ext2 fs, but maybe it's a generic,
> > fs-independant problem.
> >
> > greetings,
> > Rob van Nieuwkerk
>
> How does it 'know' it's a R/O file-system? Have you mounted it
> R/O, mounted it noatime, or just taken whatever you get when
> you boot from a ramdisk?

Hi Richard,

The kernel has the "ro" commandline-parameter.
There is no remount after the system boots.
"touch /bla" gives a read-only fs error.

> FYI, I created a FIFO with mkfifo, remounted the file-system
> R/O, executed `cat` with it's input coming from the FIFO, and
> then waited for a few minutes. I then wrote to the FIFO.
> The atime did not change with 2.4.20.

Just did the same here (on my workstation). And the times *did* change ..
More precisely: the "modification" & "change" were updated, the "access"
time remained unchanged.

RH9, kernel-2.4.20-13.9

greetings,
Rob van Nieuwkerk