Re: Question about memory-mapped files

From: Hugh Dickins (hugh@veritas.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 01:23:24 EST

On Wed, 28 May 2003, John M Collins wrote:

> Thanks - FYI the file mod time eventually got updated on HP-UX but not
> on Solaris (2.9) or Linux (2.4.21) - and it doesn't seem to update it
> even if you don't close the f.d. I think that has to be wrong if the
> manual page is anything to go by.

I agree with you. I hate files being modified without mtime changing,
and the mmap(2) man page is so surprisingly specific about those times
that I bet the text comes directly from one of the standards.

It's not something I'm rushing to fix; but I've made a note to
look at it later (days not hours) if nobody else gets there first.
It may turn out to be too difficult to get right - mmap and [amc]time
don't fit well together; but that text you've noticed at least gives
something to aim for - thanks.

Hugh