Re: Linux 2.4.21-rc6

From: Con Kolivas (kernel@kolivas.org)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 05:04:29 EST

On Thu, 29 May 2003 10:55, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here goes -rc6. I've decided to delay 2.4.21 a bit and try Andrew's fix
> for the IO stalls/deadlocks.
>
> Please test it.
>

> Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxx>:
> o Fix IO stalls and deadlocks

As this is only patches 1 and 2 from akpm's suggested changes I was wondering
if my report got lost in the huge thread so I've included it here:

Ok patch combination final score for me is as follows in the presence of a
large continuous write:
1 No change
2 No change
3 improvement++; minor hangs with reads
1+2 improvement+++; minor pauses with switching applications
1+2+3 improvement++++; no pauses

Applications may start up slowly that's fine. The mouse cursor keeps spinning
and responding at all times though with 1+2+3 which it hasn't done in 2.4 for
a year or so.

Is there a reason the 3rd patch was omitted?

Con