Re: 2.4.20: Proccess stuck in __lock_page ...

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 08:12:41 EST

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 09:03:42AM +1000, Con Kolivas wrote:
> On Thu, 29 May 2003 04:47, Elladan wrote:

> > > May I ask how you are reproducing the bad results? I'm trying in vain
> > > here...
> >
> > It might be useful to check what video hardware and X servers people are
> > using here. If the behavior is just mouse freezups, the "silken mouse"
> > feature of XFree might have some effect, since it involves XFree binding
> > a signal to mouse device events.
>
> Xfree 3.3.6, 4.2,4.3
> Drivers nvidia, nv, sis, sisfb, vesa, vesafb
>
> are the drivers on the machines where I've seen it happen so far - ie without
> discrimination.

what about the window manager? do you use focus follow mouse? Just
trying to find a pattern. For the record KDE 3.1 + focus follow mouse
and X 4.3.0 here, I guess Jens uses the same software combination. the
mouse for me is always perfectly fluid no matter how fast and how long I
write, no matter if I don't touch the mouse for minutes, ALT+TAB as
well. I definitely can't reproduce in any way the mouse stalls (I'm
using cp /dev/zero . on a ext3 fs in ordered mode). hardware is 1G of
ram smp IDE single spindle primary master matrox GS450. I almost
couldn't notice the background write flood if I only would increase the
xmms buffer (infact I thought it stopped writing for a dozen seconds out
of space, and instead it was still writing). (kernel is 2.4.21rc4aa1 of
course)

Andrea