Re: siimage driver status

From: Wm. Josiah Erikson (josiah@insanetechnology.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 10:05:26 EST

Wow. I feel dumb. When I add the -X66 to tell the drive as well, then
everything is peachy. Thanks! :)
Now I suppose I just have to figure out how to make that work on boot
(perhaps just to make the BIOS put them in DMA mode)
-Josiah

On 29 May 2003, Alan Cox wrote:

On Iau, 2003-05-29 at 15:32, Wm. Josiah Erikson wrote:
> hard drives that I'm trying to get to work with linux 2.4.21-rc6. The
> problem I'm having is that it's REALLY slow and crashy. The kernel reports
> this on bootup:

I'm running the siimage driver fine with several drives. Your setup is
intriguing in that the BIOS has chosen to leave the drives in PIO mode

> SiI3112 Serial ATA: IDE controller at PCI slot 01:0b.0
> SiI3112 Serial ATA: chipset revision 2
> SiI3112 Serial ATA: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> ide2: MMIO-DMA , BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
> ide3: MMIO-DMA , BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio

Really the SATA drives ought to have come up in UDMA

> everything else on my system to a temporary halt, and hdparm -t reports
> about 1.3MB/sec reads. This is a bummer, as I was hoping to RAID 0 them
> together and make them my boot drives :)
>
> If I try and enable DMA, the machine instantly hardlocks.

Thats with hdparm -X66 -d1 ?

The only updates to the siimage driver are those in 2.4.21-ac which you
shouldn't need.