Re: 2.5.70-mm1 Strangeness

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 19:17:26 EST

From: Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 13:55:41 -0700

The ip_dst_cache seems unreasonably large. Unless your desktop is a
backbone router or something.

Lots of DST entries can result on any machine actually. We create one
per source address, not just per destination address. So if you talk
to a lot of sites, or lots of sites talk to you, you'll get a lot of
DST entries.

Regardless, 80MB _IS_ excessive. That's nearly 400,000 entries.
It definitely indicates there is a leak somewhere.

Although it say:

ip_dst_cache 19470 19470 4096 1 1

Which is 19470 active objects right?

There is a known aparent issue with IPV6, there is some DST
leak there, but that is irrelevant here since we're clearly
talking about the ipv4 dst cache.