readcd supossed to suport 2.5.x IDE interface?

From: uaca (uaca@alumni.uv.es)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 12:26:33 EST

Hi all

I'm recording CD-R/W media with cdrecord using dev=<ide device> without
problems but I tried to use readcd in order to read media in raw mode
and doesn't work:

agapito:/home/ulisses# readcd dev=/dev/hdc f=/dev/null
Read speed: 8450 kB/s (CD 48x, DVD 6x).
Write speed: 7056 kB/s (CD 40x, DVD 5x).
Capacity: 359819 Blocks = 719638 kBytes = 702 MBytes = 736 prMB
Sectorsize: 2048 Bytes
Copy from SCSI (0,0,0) disk to file '/dev/null'
end: 359819
readcd: Operation not permitted. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
agapito:/home/ulisses# readcd dev=/dev/hdc f=/dev/null

the error message comes from:

ioctl(3, 0x2285, 0xbffff570) = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate ioctl for device)

where the file descriptor is the IDE device

I would like to help if this is a kernel flaw

I was not sure were I should post this because Joerg Schilling doesn't
support it's tools for IDE devices (not SCSI emulated) on Linux

Thanks all

Ulisses

PD: I had a crazy idea, there are a lot of Install Parties, why not "Bug
hunting fests/sessions" before 2.6 reach the street?

Debian GNU/Linux: a dream come true