Re: Hyper-threading

From: Martin Schlemmer (azarah@gentoo.org)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 01:11:59 EST

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 18:46, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Anybody know how to enable hyperthreading? I
> have an ABIT IC7-G motherboard (absolute garbage)
> with a Phoenix AwardBIOS. They don't provide
> any BIOS upgrades and say you have to contact
> the board vendor. ABIT doesn't answer email
> and www.abit.com ends up being answered by
> www.motherboards.com that doesn't provide
> any support.

You prob want to try:

  http://www.abit.com.tw/

With the bios at:

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/english/download_content.jsp?pTITLE=IC7-G&#Bios

I do not see anything HT specific, except a logo thing (maybe).

> The crap board came with the peripherals
> I paid for, stripped out (no network, etc).
> Don't make the mistake of buying this garbage
> as I did. I thought that since it was more
> expensive than others, it __must__ be the
> best!!!

Well, its a matter of opinion I guess, but I have always had
good results with Asus motherboards. All Asus bords with chipset
supporting HT have BIOS updates to enable support. Also, if you
look at older A7N8X (Nforce2 chipset) boards, they now have support
for 400Mhz CPU even if not the Ultra400 Chipset (BIOS update) ... makes
a difference if you do not have money to upgrade =)

Regards,

--
Martin Schlemmer