2.5.70 module autoloading problem

From: Nagy Gabor (linux42@freemail.c3.hu)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 09:17:10 EST

Hi!

I wanted to test 2.5, and so I did with 2.5.67 first, then with 2.5.70

I have installed the module-init-tools 0.9.11-1 debian package, and now
some of my modules work automatically under 2.5 too, others don't get
autoloaded.

I don't know if this is a bug in the kernel (kmod), or just something has
changed so much without warning, that it breaks other things.

Examples:
swordfish:~# lsmod
Module Size Used by
unix 21380 2 [unsafe]
swordfish:~# ls -l /dev/input/mice
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 13, 63 May 1 11:07 /dev/input/mice
swordfish:~# X
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psaux
        No such device.
(EE) Configured Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
        No such device.
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
No core pointer

Fatal server error:
failed to initialize core devices

swordfish:~# modprobe char-major-13-63
input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse on isa0060/serio2
input: PS/2 Generic Mouse on isa0060/serio4
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
swordfish:~# lsmod
Module Size Used by
mousedev 7392 0
psmouse 6404 0
unix 21380 2 [unsafe]

Now X or gpm can start. I haven't seen any document saying what should I
write in my alias lines, in my /etc/modprobe.d/aliases file (from the
module-init-tools package) there is an alias char-major-13-63 mousedev
line.

With 2.4 and modutils, similar lines worked. How can I tell what alias
does the kernel look for?

Someone told me that I should use char_major_13_63, without explanation,
but it does not work either.

continuing the examples:
swordfish:~# mount /dev/hdb /cdrom -t iso9660
mount: /dev/hdb is not a valid block device
swordfish:~# lsmod
Module Size Used by
isofs 31136 0
zlib_inflate 21472 1 isofs
swordfish:~# modprobe ide-cd
end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 0
hdb: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache, DMA
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
swordfish:~# mount /dev/hdb /cdrom -t iso9660
mount: block device /dev/hdb is write-protected, mounting read-only
swordfish:~# lsmod
Module Size Used by
nls_iso8859_1 4000 1
ide_cd 34560 1
cdrom 30336 1 ide_cd
isofs 31136 1
zlib_inflate 21472 1 isofs

I have no alias with ide-cd anywhere. I have tried with block-major-3-64,
but it doesn't work, and I suppose it should not be needed anyway.

Also, the second half of Documentation/modules.txt seems to be pretty
outdated, it talks about kerneld instead of kmod, which I haven't been
using for years now. I think it should include a lead to help me
constructing working alias lines. It only gives 2 very simple lines of
example.

I have searched for documentation/solutions in google, but the searches
turned up only similar problems, not solutions.

Thanks in advance
Gee