Re: Linksys WRT54G and the GPL

From: Erik Andersen (andersen@codepoet.org)
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 20:11:53 EST

On Mon Jun 09, 2003 at 01:09:45AM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Erik Andersen wrote:
>
> > BTW, this is what I did to open up the Linksys rom...
>
> interesting.. what do you make of:
>
> http://download.qlogic.com/sf/10215/fullimage_1.5.1.04.zip
>
> which is the firmware that runs on QLogic SANBox2 2Gbit fibre-channel
> switches (Cyrix MediaGX iirc). Looking at strings it includes
> software such as glib (LGPL), Linux and GRUB.
>
> QLogic did not answer my request for source to the (L)GPL
> parts of the firmware when i asked them.

gzip magic at 0x4110 for a compressed 1.7 MB, i386,
2.4.18-xfs linux kernel

x86 boot sector with GRUB at 0xE3ACB6

gzip magic at 0xFA0E4 for file named "image" that contains
a compressed 24 MB ext2 filesystem

gzip magic at 0x80D278 for a compressed 1.7 MB, i386,
2.4.18-xfs linux kernel (apparently a backup)

gzip magic at 0x90324Ci for a file name "fl_image" that
also contains a compressed 24 MB ext2 filesystem

A quick look through their filesystem shows plenty of GPL'd
stuff. Mostly looks lika RedHat ripoff, with a bunch of
apparently proprietary junk under /itasca,

 -Erik