Re: [RFC] New system device API

From: Nigel Cunningham (ncunningham@clear.net.nz)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 18:09:29 EST

Good morning, gentlemen.

Can I bring up an issue a little off topic? Is it currently possible for
us to say 'I want to suspend X but not Y?', and if so how is it done? I
ask because someone recently mentioned the spinning up and down of IDE
during swsusp. That occurs because we can (AFAIK) only say suspend
everything at the moment. It would be good if we could put to sleep
everything except your system devices and the devices used to write the
image while preparing the image, and only suspend the remaining devices
once the image has been written. Is such a thing already implemented?

As an aside, I've gone to a 1.0 pre series for 2.4 swsusp, so it
shouldn't be long before I'm working on 2.5. I've already created
swsusp25.bkbits.net, but nothing is in it at the moment. My intention is
that as I prepare the patches and Pavel says 'That looks ok', I'll add
them to the tree and we can ask Linus to pull from there.

Regards,

Nigel

--
Nigel Cunningham
495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth. -- 2 Timothy 2:15, NASB.