Re: [2.5.70-mm8] NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

From: Thomas Schlichter (schlicht@uni-mannheim.de)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 08:16:44 EST

Hi,

it seems that whether the netdevice nor the 8139too parts of the kernel cause
my problems but there must have been some bad changes to the interrupt
routing or the IO-APIC parts.

I don't have -mm7 handy currently (but at the moment it compiles again) but I
attached the contents of /proc/interrupts of 2.4.10 (the system I currently
run) and 2.5.70-mm8 again.

As you can see there, the -mm8 code does not assign more than 16 interrupt
sinks but the 2.4.10 (and if I remember correctly -mm7, too) has 22. Perhaps
even more problematic is that -mm8 seems not to use level-triggered
interrupts...!

I could try to revert some IRQ or APIC changes if someone could tell me which
Changeset may have caused that...

Best reagrds
  Thomas Schlichter

           CPU0
  0: 184641 IO-APIC-edge timer
  1: 2037 IO-APIC-edge keyboard
  2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
  4: 2 IO-APIC-edge serial
  8: 2 IO-APIC-edge rtc
 12: 78366 IO-APIC-edge PS/2 Mouse
 14: 188581 IO-APIC-edge ide0
 15: 6 IO-APIC-edge ide1
 16: 180617 IO-APIC-level nvidia
 17: 14155 IO-APIC-level eth0
 18: 82091 IO-APIC-level EMU10K1
 19: 457792 IO-APIC-level fcpci
 21: 0 IO-APIC-level usb-uhci, usb-uhci, usb-uhci
NMI: 0
LOC: 184592
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

           CPU0
  0: 52599 IO-APIC-edge timer
  1: 1075 IO-APIC-edge i8042
  2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
  4: 11 IO-APIC-edge serial
  5: 0 IO-APIC-edge uhci-hcd
  8: 2 IO-APIC-edge rtc
  9: 0 IO-APIC-edge acpi
 10: 0 IO-APIC-edge ehci-hcd
 11: 0 IO-APIC-edge eth0, EMU10K1, bttv0, uhci-hcd, uhci-hcd
 12: 79 IO-APIC-edge i8042
 14: 6217 IO-APIC-edge ide0
 15: 10 IO-APIC-edge ide1
NMI: 0