RE: /proc/bus/pci

From: Mr. James W. Laferriere (babydr@baby-dragons.com)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 14:37:16 EST

        Hello Riley ,

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Riley Williams wrote:
> Hi James.
> >> All forms of hard disk interface - that I do know.
> >> ST-506 = Seagate Technology model 506 hard drive
> >> (which set the MFM and RLL standards)
> > st506 was ONLY mfm. There were no st506 drive that had
> > RLL encodings.

> Curiously enough, my first hard drive was an ST-506 used with
> an RLL controller for the usual 45% increase in capacity. All
> I can say is that it worked fine from when I bought it new
> (for £350.00) through to when I had to replace the (genuine
> IBM) PC/XT motherboard after it failed.
        Yes , After formatting it on an RLL based controller .
        Also 'some' of the RLL controllers would recognise a st506
        mfm formatted drive & use it .
        To the best of my knowledge there never was an Segate labeled
        st-506 that was RLL encoded .

> The new motherboard was a 386dx/25 and had on-board IDE and
> related, so I had to get an IDE drive at the same time.
        Yeah I can understand that one . Did you use the rll controller
        to transfer the data ? or ?

> Oh - yes, I was shocked at the speed difference between the
> two systems. Then again, who wouldn't be...
        YES !!! , Of course I was quite happily suprised at the speed
        differance found going from DEC RL02's to those st506's ;-) .
                Twyl , JimL