Re: 2.5.70 hangs on boot

From: Dave Jones (davej@codemonkey.org.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 16:49:44 EST

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 09:08:39PM -0400, OverrideX wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've tried 2.5.70, 2.5.70-mm8 and 2.5.70-bk17. All of them hang while
> booting, the last message they display is "Uncompressing Linux... Ok,
> booting the kernel." then they just sit blank and boot no further. I've
> booted previous 2.5.x kernels on this system, the last I had used was
> 2.5.63. My Hardware and other info is below, .config is attached. Is
> anyone else experiencing this problem? Is there any other information I
> can provide to help debuging? Please cc me any replies as my mailbox
> can't take the full brunt of this mailing list, thanks -Dan

Ugh, what a mess. Take a look at http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt
You'll notice that your .config doesn't contain most of those in the
'gotchas' section that it suggests you make sure you have.

The root cause of this is that you have CONFIG_INPUT=m.

CONFIG_VT only shows up if you have CONFIG_INPUT=y.
With it set to =m a whole bunch of options never ever show up in the
configuration.

This really wants fixing badly. The source of this problem seems to be
people taking 2.4 configs (where CONFIG_INPUT=m was fine), and it all
going pear-shaped when people make oldconfig. I'm aware of the problems
that oldconfig can't override variables set in .config, so how about
just renaming CONFIG_INPUT to something else ?

                Dave