Re: [patch] input: Fix CLOCK_TICK_RATE usage ... [8/13]

From: David Mosberger (davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 13:50:28 EST

>>>>> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:47:44 -0500, Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@us.ibm.com> said:

  Hollis> On Tuesday, Jun 17, 2003, at 18:24 US/Central, David Mosberger wrote:
>> #ifdef CONFIG_LEGACY_HW
>> # define PIT_FREQ 1193182
>> # define LATCH ((CLOCK_TICK_RATE + HZ/2) / HZ)
>> #endif

>> This way, machines that support legacy hardware can define
>> CONFIG_LEGACY_HW and on others, the macro can be left undefined, so
>> that any attempt to compile drivers requiring legacy hw would fail to
>> compile upfront (much better than accessing random ports!).

  Hollis> Is "having legacy hardware" an all-or-nothing condition for you? If
  Hollis> not, a CONFIG_LEGACY_PIT might be more appropriate...

I believe it is, though I'm not entirely certain about Intel's Tiger
platform. If more fine-grained distinction really is needed, I
suspect we'd rather want something called CONFIG_8259_PIT. Might be a
good idea to do this for all legacy devices.

        --david