Re: SCSI Write Cache Enable in 2.4.20?

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 11:56:14 EST

Cress, Andrew R wrote:
> IMO, it isn't "necessary", but it is very desirable, and should be the
> default, to disable write cache on SCSI disks for any system that is
> concerned about reliability.

This sounds like a bug, either in an application, or in Linux kernel's
scsi disk implementation.

Data is only guaranteed to be written onto disk following an
fsync(2)-like operation in the application. And in turn, it is the
Linux kernel's responsibility to ensure that such a flush is propagated
all the down to the low-level driver, in my opinion. Sophisticated
hosts can have barriers, and "dumb" hosts can simply call the drive's
flush-cache / sync-cache command.

        Jeff