Re: 2.5.72: SCSI tape error handling

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 12:49:19 EST

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Bob Tracy wrote:

> Kai Makisara wrote:
> > st does not currently return error for any write problems except when at
> > EOT. The following one-liner fixes the bug (probably mangled by my mail
> > client):
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > Thanks for the report.
>
> Thank *you* for the fix! With disk drive capacities greatly
> outstripping my budgetary ability to buy tape drives that are up to the
> task, I don't know how much longer I'll consider tape to be a viable
> backup option, but I can now hang in there a bit longer :-).

I bought a DVD burner, that seems reasonably cost effective today, and I'm
hoping that hot swap IDE drives will be mature in a year or so. I've
swapped them by turning the whole cable off with hdparm, but it is *not* a
supported operation.

Maybe firewire/USB2.0 drives, the actual drives are reasonably cheap now.

Glad to see the fix, I have 4mm and 8mm tape.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc