Re: AMD MP, SMP, Tyan 2466, REISERFS I/O error

From: Timothy Miller (miller@techsource.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 18:15:28 EST

Oleg Drokin wrote:

> Is not this is one of those heavy-PCI loaded boxes that ocasionally corrupt
> data when PCI is overloaded?
> The log you quoted shows that suddenly tree nodes have incorrect content
> (and the i/o error is because reiserfs does not know what to do with such nodes).
> (and we hope to push the patch that will print device where error have occured
> soon).

The PCI spec doesn't allow more than four slots per bus. Some boards
try to put on 5 or 6 slots anyhow, violating the spec. It's no wonder
there are so many problems with those boards.

You can often get them to work anyhow, but it involves swapping cards
around in slots until you find an arrangement that works, but it's still
unreliable.