Re: [RFC] My research agenda for 2.7

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@arcor.de)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 09:54:46 EST

On Friday 27 June 2003 16:43, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> The buddy allocator is not a good system for getting rid of fragmentation.

We've talked in the past about throwing out the buddy allocator and adopting
something more modern and efficient and I hope somebody will actually get
around to doing that. In any event, defragging is an orthogonal issue. Some
allocation strategies may be statistically more resistiant to fragmentation
than others, but no allocator has been invented, or ever will be, that can
guarantee that terminal fragmentation will never occur - only active
defragmentation can provide such a guarantee.

Regards,

Daniel