Re: Dell vs. GPL

From: Miles Bader (miles@lsi.nec.co.jp)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 04:45:57 EST

Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org> writes:
> When they tell you they will not open a case on your behalf until a
> registered copyright is in hand, that point real hard.

Ok whatever, but what I don't understand is your comment that:

> GPL loses, maybe better so it can be replaced with OSL and then it gets
> serious because we will have teeth to defend the ideas of open source.

The `copyright registration' requirements, whatever they are, would
seem to apply equally to the GPL and whatever other `OSL' you have, so
why on earth would some court loss related to copyright registration
have any effect on what license people choose?

-miles

--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!