Re: Dell vs. GPL

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 12:22:03 EST

On Llu, 2003-06-30 at 05:07, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> Where is Dell's Head Quarters?
> Please goto your local justice and get a UK ruling for a US Corporation.
> What gives you the right to pursue in court GPL for materials you do not
> have copyright ownership? I use this loose in this case because you now
> have copyright context in the material in question.

I don't need to. The US as a berne signatory allows non US citizens to
enforce copyright (regardless of US registration). Its one of the funny
cases where US citizens have less rights in their own country than
foreigners in some ways

Besides which if I wanted to sue Dell (and I don't) I'd do it in the UK,
our lawyers are cheaper 8)