Re: help backporting workqueue to 2.4; for net/sunrpc/cache.c

From: Neil Brown (neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 07:07:49 EST

On Friday July 4, fcusack@fcusack.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Should I expect any problems backporting the 2.5 workqueue.c to 2.4?
> It looks pretty straightforward, but I am {naive,novice}. The only
> interesting looking bit is setting current->flags |= PF_IOTHREAD,
> which doesn't exist in 2.4. At a glance, it looks like I can ignore
> this; it's used in suspend.c which doesn't exist in 2.4 either.
>
> The reason I'd like to backport this is because of changes in sunrpc
> which now use the workqueue to clean auth caches. Related question:
> how is this (periodic cache clean) done in 2.5.73 and earlier?
> net/sunrpc/cache.c didn't use the workqueue until 2.5.74.

The nfsd threads called cache_clean() from nfsd() in nfsd/nfssvc.c,
whenever they didn't have anything else to do, but this wasn't really
often enough. You could probably get them to do it after every
request as cache_clean() does virtually nothing unless there is
evidence that something needs doing.

NeilBrown