Re: console=tty2

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 15:49:12 EST

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-1] Víctor Romero wrote:

> Dear kernel hackers,
>
> In a little appliance (i386) I'm working on I have a linux(2.4.20 vanilla)
> booting with a pretty nice logo in fb mode, but I dont want to see text in
> the boot process just the logo, so I tryed on boot : linux console=tty2, but
> still see everything, If i put to ttyS0 works but I have a modem there,so its
> not a good idea, anyway tty2 should work, but it doesnt, any idea?

This is the tail end of the script I wrote to make a bootable RAM
disk for an embedded system. I assure you that ttyS0, ttyS1m and null
work fine. You must make sure that you have actually created the
devices in /dev

#
# Compress the RAM Disk image into a file on the mounted file-system.
# Remove the original RAM Disk image, then copy the required boot
# files to the mounted file-system also.
#
umount ${RAMDISK}
dd if=${RAMDISK_IMAGE} bs=1k count=${DISKSIZE} | gzip -9 >/mnt/initrd-${VER}
rm -f ${RAMDISK_IMAGE}
rmdir ${RAMDISK}
#
cp ${SYS} /mnt/vmlinuz-${VER}
cp /boot/boot.b /mnt/boot.b
cp message /mnt/message
#
# Now execute lilo to install the boot-loader onto the mounted file-
# system. Lilo allows its configuration to be taken from standard input.
#
/sbin/lilo -C - <<EOF
#
# Lilo boot-configuration script.
#
#message = /mnt/message
boot = ${RAMDEV}
disk = ${RAMDEV}
        bios = 0x00
        sectors = 18
        heads = 2
        cylinders = 80
map = /mnt/map
backup = /dev/null
compact
vga = normal # force sane state
 install = /mnt/boot.b
 image = /mnt/vmlinuz-${VER}
 initrd = /mnt/initrd-${VER}
 root = /dev/ram0
 label = Platinum
# append = "console=ttyS1,9600"
# append = "console=ttyS0,9600"
 append = "console=null"
EOF

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).