Re: bsd disklabel and swap

From: Ducrot Bruno (poup@poupinou.org)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 17:42:51 EST

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 02:17:20PM +1000, Daniel Cavanagh wrote:
> hi
>
> i'm having a problem with a bsd disklabel and swap.
> my /dev/hda disk look like this
>
> partition 1: fat
> partition 2: ext2
> partition 3: openbsd
>
> it is a standard bsd disklabel with a as root and b as swap. this means
> that /dev/hda6 should be the swap partition. but "swapon /dev/hda6"
> prints "swapon: /dev/hda6: Invalid argument". it also prints that for
> any other valid partition. if i put this in /etc/fstab, on boot the
> kernel will print "Unable to find swap-space signature" before swapon
> prints the above message. but if i use /dev/hda3 instead, swapon will
> accept it and add a 512Mb swap, which is the correct size. but it
> appears that rather than writing at the start of the swap it starts
> writing at the start of the openbsd partition so my root partition is
> being corrupted. have i screwed or have you guys screwed up?
>
> im running slackware 9 (2.4.20) with a recompiled kernel. my .config is
> attached if you need it.
>
> thanks, daniel

By compiling with CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL, you actually have
changed the /dev/hdaXX numbering scheme so that /dev/hda6 may be
now one of your OpenBSD partition.

--
Ducrot Bruno

-- Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? -- Don't know. Don't care. - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/