Re: 2.5.74-mm1

From: Mel Gorman (mel@csn.ul.ie)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 05:00:14 EST

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Daniel Phillips wrote:

> > > What are you going to do if you have one
> > > application you want to take priority, re-nice the other 50?
> >
> > Is that effective? It might be just the trick.
>
> Point.

Alternatively, how about using PAM to grant the CAP_SYS_NICE capability to
known interactive users that require it. Presumably the number of users
that require it is very small (in the case of the music player, only one)
so it wouldn't be a major security issue.

There is something along these lines at http://www.pamcap.org but it
requires some patching to the kernel (only available against 2.4.18
currently) to inherit capabilities across exec and, from what I gather at
a quick glance, to allow capabilities to be set for a process group.

--
Mel Gorman