Re: FAT statfs loop abort on read-error

From: OGAWA Hirofumi (hirofumi@mail.parknet.co.jp)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 10:54:48 EST

"Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap@osdl.org> writes:

> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 13:57:19 +0200 Sancho Dauskardt <sda@bdit.de> wrote:
> | when calling statfs on a volume that has been removed (without umount)
> | fat_statfs() will attempt to read all sectors of the fat table quite a few
> | times (depending on the fat type, eg. FAT16 --> 256 times).

Yes, fat driver of 2.4 ignore the many errors.

> | Possible solution:
> | 1. let default_fat_access return something like -2 on 'can't read' error.
> | 2. Abort stafs loop on error.
> | 3. return -EIO
> |
> | This would break mode fat_access calls. I could make a patch, but I don't
> | know what's going on with those cvf extensions (which seem to replace
> | fat_access). Is dmsdos dead / can we ignore it ?
> | Somewhere in the list archives, I found comments about the cvf stuff being
> | completely removed ?

I don't know anybody ported dmsdos to 2.4. The cvf stuff was removed
and many error handlings was fixed on 2.5.x. So, personally I think to
remove the cvf stuff and backport the some parts of fat driver to 2.4
is good.

> (I asked him to add a patch to MAINTAINTERS...)

Thank you. But honestly, I may not have skill enough.

--
OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@mail.parknet.co.jp>