Re: kernel oops

From: Anders Karlsson (anders@trudheim.com)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 00:13:38 EST

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 19:09, Bernd Schubert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> did you already run a memtest86-test on your system ?

I said to Bernd last night I was going to run memtest over night. I
didn't think I'd find anything as the bits were brand new when I bought
them two months ago. However, memtest86 found some bad RAM around the
280MB mark and promptly locked hard just like the kernel does.

It was always the same bit stuck, a pattern ffffffff coming back as
feffffff and 00000000 coming back as 01000000. Bit unusual perhaps, a
stuck bit that inverts itself. The addresses where errors was detected
was quite symmetrical as well, ending in 3e0, 3e8, 3f0, 3f8, 400, 408,
410, 418.

I'm ordering a replacement DIMM today, and once it turns up, memtest is
seeing some action again.

Regards,

--
Anders Karlsson <anders@trudheim.com>