Problems with touchpad on 2.5

From: Carl Thompson (cet@carlthompson.net)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 14:31:46 EST

I am not on the linux-kernel list so please CC me with any responses. The
post halloween document for 2.5 suggests that you are the person to whom I
should address this question with a CC to the linux-kernel list. If this
is not correct, please let me know. I could not find the answer to this
question with the usual google and lkml searches.

My laptop (emachines M5305 Widescreen) has a Synaptics touchpad with a
scroll area. This scroll area serves the same purpose as mouse wheel on a
normal ps2 mouse. The touchpad uses a ps2 interface.

Under 2.4, everything works fine. With X I just configure it to use
/dev/psaux with the IMPS/2 protocol. The touchpad and the scroll area work
correctly.

Under 2.5, there are two problems. The first problem is that the touchpad
won't work at all with normal settings. However, if I start the kernel
with "psmouse_noext" the touchpad works. I believe that the kernel should
not require any options to use this very common touchpad.

The second problem is that once I get the touchpad working with the boot
option above, the scroll area still will not work. I have tried the same
setup (X cofigured to point to /dev/psaux and using protocol IMPS/2). I
have also tried using /dev/input/mouse0 and /dev/input/mice. I have tried
the XFree86 Synaptics driver instead of the X built in "mouse" driver but
that does not work at all under 2.5 (works under 2.4). If I use "cat" to
show activity using any of these devices normal touchpad movements show
something but scroll area movements show nothing.

It appears that 2.5 is doing some undesirable filtering of the ps2 mouse
events?

I have attached my 2.5 .config in case you'd like to see it.

Do you have any idea what my problem might be?

Thank you,
Carl Thompson