Re: Fix IDE initialization when we don't probe for interrupts.

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@osdl.org)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 17:25:59 EST

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> I'm curious where interrupts are re-enabled, though?

The low-level drivers seem to do it at every IO. Don't ask me why. But it
gets done automatically by any code that does

        hwif->OUTB(drive->ctl, IDE_CONTROL_REG);

which is pretty common (just grep for "IDE_CONTROL_REG" and you'll see
what I mean).

I note that I should have made this "disable irq" be dependent on
IDE_CONTROL_REG being non-zero. Although I don't see when that register
_can_ be zero, it would be a major bummer not to have access to the
control register.

(Obviously it must be zero for some architecture, though, or those
conditionals woulnd't make sense. Alan? Bartlomiej? What kind of sick
pseudo-IDE controller doesn't have a control register?).

                        Linus