Re: RFC: what's in a stable series?

From: Greg KH (greg@kroah.com)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 22:54:20 EST

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 09:06:16PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Does it mean, no API changes except for security (or similarly severe) bugs?

Do that, and we will stagnate.

> Does it mean, no userland ABI changes, but API changes affecting onto
> the kernel are ok?

That sounds acceptable to me.

But maybe I'm just biased, as I'm looking to start backporting some of
the USB 2.5 changes to 2.4 to fix real bugs that are in 2.4. This will
require changing kernel apis. And in doing so, fixing up all of the
in-kernel usages of that api will happen.

In doing this, it just enforces the fact that it really matters if you
have a in-kernel driver or not. If you want to keep a driver or any
other kernel code outside of the main tree, it is costly, both in time
and effort.

My .02

greg k-h