2.4.21 smp: system lockup

From: Marc Heckmann (mh@nadir.org)
Date: Sat Jul 12 2003 - 12:10:03 EST

Hi,

I recently experienced a lockup on an SMP 2.4.21 kernel (vanilla).

The machine was under very heavy IO at the time. (a full backup was in
progress). gzipped Alt+sysrq+t output is attached. I forgot
Alt+sysrq+P unfortunatly.

iptables was still functional, it still responded to pings, but
everything else was locked up. obviously sysrq was still working. I
managed to reboot it with sysrq+b over the serial line.

the machine has been in production for a while and has run in the past
for almost 2 months w/o any problems, so I don't believe it's hardware
related.

A similar lockup happened once with the redhat 2.4.20-13.9 kernel. I
blamed that on all the extra patches present and switched to 2.4.21
hoping that it would alleviate the problem.

PS: I'm not an linux-kernel so please CC me directly.

-m