Re: [BUG] 100% reproducible oops on ATAPI CD-ROM I/O error, 2.5.75

From: Barry K. Nathan (barryn@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2003 - 21:18:36 EST

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 12:10:08AM +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Does anyone have an explanation why cdrecord fails to write the last
> sector properly? Is this a kernel issue or a bug in cdrecord?
> I'm using cdrtools 2.01a15.

If you don't specify "-dao" or an equivalent function to cdrecord, it
records in TAO mode by default. IIRC that mode *by definition* will
leave you with an extraneous unreadable sector (or maybe it's several, I
don't remember) after the actual data has ended. (Similarly, TAO gives
you 2 seconds of forced silence between audio tracks.)

So if you believe it's a bug, then you would have to argue that the bug
is in cdrecord's default choice of recording mode. However, if cdrecord
is changed to not do this by default, it could break compatibility with
some older recorders.

The other possible bug is in readcd. (I think) it should be able to
avoid choking on the extraneous sector(s) that result from recording the
CD in TAO mode. If you're running a reasonably recent 2.4 or 2.5 kernel
then dd handles this properly on most drives, however.

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn@pobox.com>