Re: [Swsusp-devel] Re: Thoughts wanted on merging Software Suspend enhancements

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@suse.cz)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 15:43:35 EST

Hi!

> I'm going to stand firm on this one, Pavel.
>
> I think being able to cancel a suspend is a really useful feature, and
> I'll be surprised if we don't see Microsoft including it in their next
> version of Windows (perhaps I should take a patent out! :>)

:-).

> That's not to say that I haven't listened to you, however. That's why I
> tightened up the requirements for using it yesterday. As to the extra
> proc entry, it's not a biggie: 2.4 swsusp now has it's own proc handling
> code which is easily extensible. I did this to make it easier to
> understand.
>
> This...
>
> [nigel@laptop-linux nigel]$ ls -l /proc/swsusp/
> total 0
> --w------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 activate
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 async_io_limit
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 beeping
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 checkpage
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 debug_sections
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 default_console_level
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 enable_escape
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 image_size_limit
> -r-------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 interface_version
> -r-------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 last_result
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 log_everything
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 no_async_reads
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 no_async_writes
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 no_output
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 nopageset2
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 pause_between_steps
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 progressbar_granularity_limit
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 reboot
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 slow
> -r-------- 1 root root 0 Jul 15 08:28 version
> [nigel@laptop-linux nigel]$
>
> is easier to understand and configure. The /proc/sys/kernel/swsusp
> interface is still there to make it easy to save & restore them all at
> once.

Ouch.. But how many of these /proc tweaks need to stay there once
debugging is done? I do not like any configuration options for
swsusp... It should just work. [Okay, we probably need to have resume=
parameter.]

For 2.4.X I don't care. For official tree, it has to "just work" with
as little configuration as possible. [Besides enable_escape, what else
might user want to tweak?]
                                                                Pavel

[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]