Re: USB bugs (was: networking bugs and bugme.osdl.org)

From: Jan Rychter (jan@rychter.com)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 15:25:33 EST

>>>>> "Greg" == Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>:
 Greg> On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 10:07:42AM -0700, Jan Rychter wrote:
>> It hasn't. The result is a system that works for you (and other
>> active developers), but not for everyone. As an example -- try
>> running Linux on a modern laptop, connecting some USB devices, using
>> ACPI, or bluetooth. Observe the resulting problems and
>> crashes. You'll hit loads of obscure bugs that have been reported,
>> but never got looked at in detail. I certainly have hit them and
>> reported most, and most got dropped in various places.

 Greg> What USB bugs have you reported that have gotten dropped?

I'm sorry -- perhaps I shouldn't have said that. The USB bugs were
actually the ones that did get attention. I overgeneralized, perhaps
because I'm frustrated with the amount of problems that I get with Linux
these days.

I went ahead and retested all of my known USB problems against
2.4.22-pre5. It seems all usb-storage ones are gone, and there is only
one bluetooth showstopper, fairly simple to reproduce:

1. boot the machine (using uhci)
2. insert a PCI BCM2033-based bluetooth adapter, observe the firmware
   getting loaded, don't actually bring the hci0 interface up,
3. remove the adapter, everything looks fine
4. try to rmmod uhci and get:
  kmem_cache_destroy: Can't free all objects c12c7b40
  uhci: not all urb_priv's were freed

--J.